Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: research data security

From: STEVE MAGRIBY <magriby () UT EDU>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 13:45:07 -0500

Sent from my HTC smartphone

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Dobbins <dobbins () ND EDU>
Sent: Thursday, February 18, 2010 12:20 PM
To: SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU <SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU>
Subject: Re: [SECURITY] research data security

For what it's worth, we started down that road, and surprisingly enough found that the first hurdle was that some
researchers didn't perceive their data as valuable (to anyone else) and so felt no need to protect its confidentiality.
 Other threats may also not be recognized, such as its continued availability (e.g. no backups), or integrity (e.g.
sabotage).

So if venturing there again I'd start by providing some useful info on the nature of the risks, geared especially
toward conveying an intuitive sense of the threats.  Some may not believe there *are* any threats.