Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: HIPAA Business Associate/Identity Theft Prevention Agreement

From: Ken Connelly <Ken.Connelly () UNI EDU>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 13:03:50 -0600

It's okay to ask for opinions/experience here, but you *really* need to
run this by your legal department.

- ken

Steven Bourdon wrote:

Hello All,

I just received an agreement from a local hospital requesting we sign
as a “business associate” under HIPAA and “service provider” for FTC
Red Flag Rules.   Other than a nursing program with student clinical
rotations performed at local hospitals we don’t deal with protected
health information on campus.  This is a new area for me so I’m
curious if others have signed similar agreements for their health
programs with local health providers for student clinical activities.

Thanks,

*Steven M. Bourdon, CISO*

South Texas College

"

--
- Ken
Ken Connelly             Associate Director, Security and Systems