Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: RESENT - File Sharing with Active Directory (AD) - migrating off of Novel File Sharing

From: Will Froning <will.froning () GMAIL COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 21:43:25 +0400

Hello All,

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 2:02 AM, Chris Green <cmgreen () uab edu> wrote:
Try:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb664922.aspx

AD does do a good job of displaying what GROUPS someone is a member of so if you can enforce most permissions are
done by group, you can take care of most of your typical edge cases.  However, it just takes one lazy ACL to get that
to be a "scan everything".

On the same topic, anyone know a simple way to do similar for SharePoint?

I've never used this, but I think it does what you both need:

<http://www.scriptlogic.com/products/enterprisesecurityreporter/>

Having said that, we use group-based share permissions.  So we don't
really mess with NTFS.  It puts more of the onus on central IT for the
initial setup, but we know/think it's done right.

Thanks,
Will