Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Please do not change your password

From: "SCHALIP, MICHAEL" <mschalip () CNM EDU>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 08:06:29 -0600

Hold on to the torches and pitchforks - I'm just posing this for discussion....

But - in the case of "the Apache folks", how did the bad guys get the DB in the first place?  Did they go in through
someone else's password?  Or did they obtain the DB through some other means, (ie, going around the administrative
password?)

Operating under the premise that the DB was already protected by some sort of authentication mechanism - the bad guys
had to gain access to the DB in order to work on it.....but was that through a cracked password?  How did they get in
the front door?  (In many cases - we'll never know.....most places that are "compromised" will never divulge the real
story behind the initial compromise - for obvious security reasons.)

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." - Albert
Einstein