Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Vista/7 Shadow Copy

From: Cal Frye <cjf () CALFRYE COM>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 17:45:58 -0400

On 5/21/10 3:25 PM, Flynn, Gary wrote:
What do you think of disabling Shadow Copy on computers not having full
disk encryption to prevent inadvertent storage of sensitive data? Our
support folks indicated they don’t use the feature for maintenance or
troubleshooting. Some of our Windows folks are worried that it might be
used as part of the backup process or to recover files from servers
(???). And it it nice to have around when pushing patches or changes
that have higher risk of failure (e.g. Service packs).

At least one major enterprise backup application I'm aware of uses VSS
and backups will fail should that be disabled. You'll have to test your
client machines to see if your client backup process is similarly hobbled.

--
Best regards
-- Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College

   www.calfrye.com,  www.oberlin.edu/cit/

"There are two types of power. Organized money and organized people." --
Linda Jeffers.