Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Vulnerability scanners - what do you use? What seems to be successful for your environment?

From: Steve Werby <smwerby () VCU EDU>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 18:47:27 -0400

On 5/25/2010 4:04 PM, William C. Moore II wrote:

We use Nexpose by Rapid7 and have done so successfully for multiple
years now.  I also use various other assessment tools to validate my
Nexpose reports and to insure we (and Rapid7) are staying up-to-date.

We use NeXpose for system scans and WebInspect for web app scans.

We haven't provided system access to those outside of Information
Security, but we recently increased our NeXpose licensing to expand our
scanning potential by a factor of 10 and our bringing Rapid7 on-site in
June to train IT staff from outside of our central IT unit so we can
delegate scanning.

Not surprisingly, we get much better visibility into vulnerabilities
with WebInspect when credentialed scans are run.  We don't typically run
it in the most aggressive mode, but it can still have an undesirable
impact with apps that have forms that result in email generation or DB
inserts/updates.  It's important to collaborate with the app owner to
understand the behavior of the app to make configuration adjustments,
especially if there's no test/dev environment to scan against.  I don't
consider this a flaw in the solution.  It's a side effect of determining
whether certain vulnerabilities exist.  And if the scanner can do it, so
can an attacker.  There was a study a few months ago that concluded that
roughly 50% of web app vulnerabilities go undetected by the handful of
scanning solutions that were tested.  I like semi-automated web app
scanning, but it's an important point.  Business logic flaws,
unencrypted transmission of session cookies, flaws in JS or AJAX code,
and a variety of other vulnerabilities may go undetected by these tools.

Per John Ladwig's suggestion I'll include some info. about our
environment.  We have 32k students and 10k employees, an academic campus
and a medical campus, $220 million in annual funded research and
distributed IT environment with approximately 40% of IT staff in our
central IT unit.

--
Steve Werby
Information Security Officer