Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Stolen Laptops

From: Russell Fulton <r.fulton () AUCKLAND AC NZ>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 19:08:09 +1200

On 29/07/2010, at 2:34 AM, Joel Rosenblatt wrote:

We have been deploying GuardianEdge to all machines (desktops and laptops) that access sensitive information ...
around here, we have seen desktops taking a walk :-)

we too have seen desktops go walkies :)  A couple of years ago we had a spate of burglaries where the thieves hid in
buildings at lock up time then ramshacked offices and piled all the gear up at an external door which had road access.
They then presumably called their mates on the cell phone and when then when the van is backed up to the door light a
cigarette under the smoke alarm and hey pesto the fire alarms go off and the external doors open.  A minute later $10K
of stuff is in the van and if security are really lucky they catch sight of it as it disappears into the distance.

This has not happened for a while and I don't know if that is because we have been lucky or because building security
have taken counter measures.

We have also lost stuff over the Christmas/New Year break when the whole uni closes for two weeks (it's summer remember
;)

Moral is data need to be protected where ever it is.  I have been telling people for many years "If you would not leave
it in your desk draw don't leave it in clear on *any* computer".  No one listens of course!

Russell