Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: student wireless security model

From: "Foerst, Daniel P." <FOERST () CUA EDU>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 18:32:32 +0000

We currently offer open unsecure access with an SSL secured captive portal for user authentication in our residential
space. Once a semester, although this may become more frequent, our students are asked to login and download a security
key that register their system with us and provides an easy means of remediation. Services such as Microsoft
networking, wireless printing, dorm to dorm communication, or other network resources that may be available on campus
are not accessible from the residential space.

On the campus side we are piloting WPA2/PSK (until we can get enterprise up and running) with a captive portal for our
school of architecture. This allows the modular and often changing classroom landscape within that building to continue
to have access to network resources and not worry about a LAN line being available.

We have setup other WPA2/PSK environment where needed until we have an WPA2 Enterprise solution available, which is
currently under development.

Daniel Foerst
Manager, Networks & Security
The Catholic University of America