Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Data Security

From: Chuck Keeler <keeler_c () MITCHELL EDU>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 06:02:55 -0400

During the move to a new SIS system we decided it was time to overhaul our data security scheme. Along with the FERPA
Officer we defined a fairly extensive and different data access capabilities for people on the campus. As you can
imagine not everyone has the data access they had in the past and not everyone has what they think they need. My
question is simple, we are getting data access requests from the Development organization and they have asked for
access to current student records including the following information: Financial Aid, Attendance, Grades, Actions, and
Schedules. What information has your institutions defined as the information the Development should have access to
regarding current students?

___________________________________
Charles Keeler
Mitchell College
Office of Information Technology
Chief Technology Officer
* (860)701-5254
* mailto:keeler_c () mitchell edu
[cid:image001.jpg@01CB5E09.77C24C90]<https://mariners.mitchell.edu/OIT/OIT%20Site%20Pages/Get%20Help.aspx>

IMPORTANT WARNING: The information in this message (and the documents attached to it, if any) is confidential and may
be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this message by anyone else is unauthorized.
If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken, or omitted to be
taken, in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this message in error, please delete
all electronic copies of this message (and the documents attached to it, if any), destroy any hard copies you may have
created and notify me immediately by replying to this email. Thank you.