Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Quick Survey: How do you "dispose" of outbound hard drives??

From: Patrick Goggins <pgoggins () CARROLLU EDU>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 09:56:45 -0500

Bulk dban via the network for most systems. For anything more sensitive the platters are turned into coasters.

~Patrick

On Sep 27, 2010, at 9:21 AM, "Kevin McKenzie" <pappy () CLEMSON EDU> wrote:

We purchased a hard drive crusher from http://www.edrsolutions.com/

We placed this device at our central purchasing/surplus department and as
computers stacked up we send a technician, or student worker over there to
remove all the drives and crush them in this device.  This way no hard
drives leave the campus in a working order and we can be sure that none show
back up with data on them after they had been sold to someone else.

We did this three years ago and it has been successful.

Thanks,
Kevin