Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Quick Survey: How do you "dispose" of outbound hard drives??

From: John Ladwig <John.Ladwig () CSU MNSCU EDU>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 11:21:47 -0500

Is there some reason this discussion is orbiting around but (as I recall) never touching a reference to NIST SP800-88,
"Guidelines for Media Sanitization"?

It steers clear of the DOD-specific requirements, while supporting the lower-assurance needs of federal systems in a
way that's pretty applicable to higher ed.  It is getting a little long in the tooth at age 4, admittedly.

We used it as a reference in our media sanitization policy artifacts, though I haven't found a way to use the lovely
"Figure 4-1. Sanitization and Disposition Decision Flow" as yet, since we slightly detuned the criteria for our
adoption.

Just curious as to whether anyone else used that as a basis or jumping off point, and if not, why not.

   -jml

Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU> 2010-09-29 10:55 >>>