Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Quick Survey: How do you "dispose" of outbound hard drives??

From: "Perry, Jeff" <perry () KU EDU>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 15:20:25 -0500

Good points all around (re: dod vs EDU).

Michael wrote: " higher ed typically doesn't play in the "blinding
white flash" arena, so I'd recommend AGAINST trying to apply those rules
in this environment."

This is indeed why we stuck to degaussing as our "nuclear option" and
didn't go with a degauss+physical shredder policy (and the noise and
cost and mess associated with it).  The method that each division/school
must use on our campus is stipulated in our data classification policy.
We have a matrix that basically says "if the system is rated Category 1
and is moving to another Category 1 use internally do XYZ. " If it's
moving down (cat 1 -> 2) internally do 123"  "If it's leaving us
entirely do ABC".

However the majority of the machine are actually moving out the door and
we have only one method to deal with that (due to the fact that it's a
0% probability that the person disposing of the system is going to a.)
understand all this compliance stuff and b.) know everything about said
unit).  So we err on the side of 10k gauss pulse everything not to be
reused (as it fries the data and the drive) and wipe (using an approved
method/tool) for those few that are going to be reused.

Our ace in the hole is a contract we have that allows for third party
pickup, monitored destruction, and sign-off paperwork if we ever do run
across something that actually legally needs to be pulsed, shredded,
burned, dipped in acid, and then fed to llamas.

I too think the ATA thing is neat and may prove very useful in the near
future, but until it's more common we're opting for clarity so people
don't have a huge decision tree to work through (and ultimately mess up
occasionally which defeats all the time you saved).  So thanks to those
that are really spending the effort to look in to the questions it
brings up.

Cheers,

Jeff Perry, CISSP
Director, Enterprise Infrastructure & Operations
The University of Kansas