Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Firesheep/Cain& Able

From: Alex Keller <alkeller () SFSU EDU>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 11:55:51 -0700

re: Has anyone run Firesheep to see that it does what it claims?

for a switched wired network you will need to perform ARP poisoning
otherwise your adapter will only see unicast (and broadcast) traffic
intended for it. for wireless (unencrypted) on the Windows side it will
require a wireless card (and driver) that supports promiscuous mode,
unfortunately the majority of onboard wireless adapters on Windows
laptops don't support this feature. my testing indicates Firesheep works
out of the box for wireless hijacking on Intel based iMacs and MacBooks
running 10.6.x.

there are some troubleshooting tips here (a third the way down the page):
http://codebutler.com/

best,
alex