Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Education sector most affected by malware

From: Joel Rosenblatt <joel () COLUMBIA EDU>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 14:15:49 -0400

So, your NAC will tell you that the Trend product that didn't stop the malware from getting installed is working :-)

Joel

--On Wednesday, October 06, 2010 8:18 AM -0700 Christopher Jones <Christopher.Jones () ufv ca> wrote:

Vendor supplied stats are always suspect.  But even if you divided them in half, the numbers are still scary.  Here's
another good reason to implement a NAC
solution.

My 2.0 cents

Christopher

Regards,
Christopher Jones
IT Security Administrator
Information Technology Services
University of the Fraser Valley
33844 King Road
Abbotsford, BC  V2S 7M8
604.854.4566
Christopher.Jones () ufv ca

Joel Rosenblatt <joel () COLUMBIA EDU> 10/06/2010 8:01 AM >>>
Not that I don't believe them, but I am always suspect of statements made by vendors - the assumption made is that they
represent enough of the total AV
business that they can state unequivocally that .edu owns 44% of the malware may or may not be true - I know that, for
one, we do not use their product, and
from a Gartner report I found, they had about 14% of the total AV market in 2005
<http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=493858>, so, if we say that their
share  has increased to, lets say, 20% since then, we are really talking about 44% of 20% ... I always look at the
source of these numbers .. the saying is,
there are  lies, damned lies, and statistics.

My 2 cents

Joel