Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Laptop encryption experiences

From: randy marchany <marchany () VT EDU>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 13:37:18 -0500

Alison, you hit on my point about FDE? Is it really compliance? It seems to
me that FDE complies with the MA law only if the laptop is powered off. Does
FDE comply when you're using the computer? Not familiar with the MA wording
so that's why I'm asking. Do you need some other encryption tool (truecrypt,
PGP Netshare, GPG, etc.) to be compliant when the machine is in use?

-r.