Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: USB Keyloggers

From: "Doty, Timothy T." <tdoty () MST EDU>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 08:48:46 -0600

A good point that I neglected: our lab systems have been Dell Optiplexes
which have a simple hasp integrated into the case. We padlock these with a
security cable affixed to the desk/table to prevent systems, or internal
parts, from walking off. Without that, using an internal USB port for the
keyboard would have little purpose.

We considered recommending ports to be visible for easy inspection. However,
realistically it is unlikely that any but the most paranoid faculty will
check every time before every class, no matter how visible the ports are.
Since we already practice a level of physical security on the hardware it
made sense to extend that to the ports where practical.

Tim Doty