Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Education sector most affected by malware

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 12:01:43 -0400

On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 10:42:39 CDT, Gina Mieszczak said:
I believed that that was what this list was for - to share information
among the Universities.  If vendors are trolling the list, I'd like to know
before I posted any information.  If that's the case, I'd rather contact
people off list and go that route.

Note that not just vendors may be trolling.  If you have any actual
sensitive info to share, it's probably better to engage REN-ISAC or
similar group.

Trolling vendors tend to be self-limiting - it usually takes only one
"I just got trolled" note like Mick DiGrazia's before the vendor realizes
that they have erred badly.