Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Institution-Wide Identity Theft Management

From: Jeff Giacobbe <giacobbej () MAIL MONTCLAIR EDU>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 11:02:01 -0500

Colleagues-

Has anyone done an analysis of the Red Flag rules specifically as they
apply to the re-issuance of 'account numbers' when there has been an
exposure or potential exposure of internal student IDs?

My takeaway from a (admittedly cursory) look at the rules is that
financial institutions are required to issue customers new account
numbers (i.e. checking/savings/ATM accounts) within a certain amount of
time that a data exposure is discovered. However it is unclear to me how
this rule applies to, for example, a students campus ID number used to
access SIS information, register for classes, etc. Such numbers are
commonly used instead of SSN for precisely the reason that they only
have relevance within the institutions systems and cannot be used for
the traditional definition of "identity theft" In fact, student IDs are
often used for meal cards, residence hall assignments and other
functions in higher ed and are therefore much more 'public' than a SSN.

So my question is, if a student ID number is exposed does the 're-issue
the account number' clause of Red Flag kick in or not? In many cases
re-issuing a student ID has a ripple effect on a lot of other systems
and is a non-trivial effort.

Thanks,

Jeff Giacobbe
Montclair State University