Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Wiping of data on large storage arrays

From: "SCHALIP, MICHAEL" <mschalip () CNM EDU>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 09:49:09 -0600

Doing a wipe on a complete storage array can be done, but only if you have a week or two to let it run.....possibly
longer.  In the Fed sector, they sometimes write into the contract that all the equipment *except* for the physical
hard drives......then they just shred the hard drives.  I've seen one contract where they agreed to provide "like drive
hardware" instead of returning the hard drives - the contract got brand new drives in return, and we didn't have to
sanitize anything, (I know - sounds expensive, but the savings in time/labor more than paid for the drives - and the
level of "sensitive" dictated the extra caution.....).  Another contract just said that the hard drives had to be
returned - so they put all the drives through a degausser, turned up to "easybake", and called it good.....and the
contract folks were fine with that.....

Just other options.....