Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Detecting Certificate Authority compromises and web browser collusion

From: Jack Suess <jack () UMBC EDU>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 23:57:06 -0400

Valdis,

As a preface let me say I'm on InCommon Steering.  I  have also been involved with the security groups at EDUCAUSE,
Internet2, and the REN since we formed them in 2000.

If you have been involved in getting on-boarded into the InCommon Comodo service you know InCommon has an extensive
registration process to make certain it is being done properly. I read the blogs and there was criticism that Comodo
should of done better. After the fact, whenever anyone has had a security incidence you realize you should of done
things better. I'm not trying to defend Comodo but I also recognize the difficulty all places are facing in security
(RSA is a good example you noted).

The distinction between InCommon and vendors is we are much more transparent in what we do. We have a group of
campus-based PKI experts that we formed as a subcommittee that reviews and defines everything InCommon does. This group
is campus-based in that they all work at universities. Their recommendations role up to our Technical Advisory
Committee, again all experts from higher education. When we have issues we communicate them out because we also use the
products and our members are  colleagues of yours and want to do what is best.

Many of us have connections to the REN-ISAC and in fact we had good communication going on between Doug Pearson and the
people at Internet2 on this issue. What we can say is if an issue comes up impacting higher ed we'll be right there
working with the REN, EDUCAUSE, and Internet2 to get mitigations in places and communicate this to our community.

I don't know if that makes you feel more at ease but I take comfort knowing that there are people in higher ed with
expertise I respect involved with this and making sure it is done right.

jack suess