Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Manual locking workstations

From: ANDREA Grover <andreagrover1 () WEBER EDU>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 12:59:45 -0600

I am working our Secure Computing Standard and am stuck in discussions about manually locking workstations. We already
require that workstations are set to automatically lock after a specified time, but are also wondering about making the
manual locking of workstations a requirement or a recommendation.

What policies and/or practices are in place for other universities and groups? Is it a requirement or a recommendation
that they lock their workstations when they leave it?

If I can get any feedback on this I would appreciate it very much.

Andrea Grover
Weber State University - Network Security