Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Security and Privacy Governance

From: "Davis, Thomas R" <tdavis () IU EDU>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 12:05:02 +0000

Hi Chris,

The governance of Indiana University's ISPP is outlined here:

  https://protect.iu.edu/privacy/program/governance

--
Tom Davis, CISSP, CISM
Chief Security Officer

On Aug 23, 2011, at 7:53 PM, Chris Kidd wrote:

Colleagues:

We’re in the process of evaluating the governance of our information security and privacy program. I’m hoping that
we’re not unique in the sense that we have a centrally managed program for our entire campus, which includes our
academic medical center (collaboration and data flow have necessitated this alignment). In terms of scope – the
security program is focused on the traditional C.I.A. pyramid while privacy links at confidentiality but also
encompasses an individual’s right to access, amend/correct, control access to, copy/review, etc. information about
them.

If you’re willing to share, I’d like to better understand how other programs are structured. I’m particularly
interested in understanding the configuration of advisory and oversight committees in the context of the larger IT
(or other) governance framework and how this ultimately interacts with operational areas. I also wonder how many
organizations have aligned their programs with data governance and/or data stewards and how effective that has been.

What has worked best for you? Thanks in advance.

Chris

Chris Kidd
Chief Information Security and Privacy Officer
University of Utah Health Care
University of Utah
650 Komas Drive, Suite 102
Salt Lake City, UT 84108