Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Data "Sharing" Policy

From: Bob Kalal <kalal.1 () OSU EDU>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 17:58:53 -0400

Ohio State's Institutional Data Policy addresses many of these issues. You can find it at
http://cio.osu.edu/policies/institutional_data/

Bob Kalal
Director (Retired), Information Technology Policy
Office of the CIO
The Ohio State University

On Sep 2, 2011, at 10:40 AM, Kevin Casey wrote:

Good morning.  Does anyone have a written policy they could share governing how sensitive data should "move" across
your organization?  We have a situation where individuals/departments are (for example) collecting info from
prospective students on their own via the Web.

We need a policy that not only addresses this use of home-grown forms, but also sending sensitive info via
(unencrypted) email, etc., and even via non-digital means (e.g. applications with SS#s in a briefcase taken off
campus).  We also need to define what "sensitive," "confidential," etc. means in the context of data....

We have an "acceptable use" policy that mentions this topic, but with inadequate specificity.

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin Casey
Executive Director