Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: FW: process for creating Information security policies and guidelines

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 06:00:56 -0400

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 20:05:44 CDT, Mohamed Elhindi said:

We are in the process of reviewing our information security policy.  We are
looking for a process that other universities have used to create university
information security policies and guidelines.  If possible, would you please
share your flowchart and procedures used for creating information security
policies and guidelines?

Beware any such flowchart that doesn't include "Step 17: Be prepared to use a
baseball bat on the recalcitrant security policy comittee members"..

Also beware any such flowchart that doesn't result in a policy that includes
"We have authorized the use of a baseball bat on recalcitrant users".

:)

Seriously, if you already have a policy in place, this should be pretty simple:

Step 0: Most places have a distinction between "Policies" (which need approval
from on high) and "Procedures/Guidelines" (which require less approval).  Consider
how much of your Policies you can push down a level (which will make them easier
to update in the future - and also future-proof them more.  Our AUP was last
modified in 2002, mostly because most of the "Thou shalt/shalt nots" are pushed
down into a Guideline.

Step 1: Create a list of known deficiencies. Remember to include all the stuff
that made you decide to update the policies in the first place....

1a - new technologies and services your current policy doesn't address. (try
re-writing your policy so it's not technology-specific - if it said "thou shalt
not email PII", maybe it needs to say "Thou shalt not transmit PII in the
clear"or something).  Also, see Step 0.

1b - Corner cases and deficiencies - "Our old policy doesn't cover if somebody
does unexpected thing xyz".

1c - Things that get in the way - places where the policy has actively impeded
legitimate business processes.

Step 2: Address each item found in Step 1.

Step 3: If you're ambitious, go through the policys line by line and see if
you overlooked any Step 1 candidates.

Step 4: Get consensus and approval, hopefully without resorting to a baseball bat. :)

Really - it doesn't have to be more complicated than that.  Any complications
above and beyond what's above are all in the "how do we get steps 1-4 done in
our organization" - and there's no way somebody else's flowchart could include
that stuff...