Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: CIPA Children Internet Protection Act

From: Ozzie Paez <ozpaez () SPRYNET COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 13:36:20 -0600

Sorry Karla and thank you for your question -

I posted the entry a few days after HP announced that it was ending
production of its WebOS products (tablet, phones, etc.) and looking to sell
or spin off its consumer computer business.  A few days later the company
tried to clarify what it was doing and since then continued producing and
selling its Tablet computer, while sticking to its decision.  I read a range
of comments and watched the market's reaction (and have continued to do so),
which were not positive.  Dell, for instance, quickly established a program
to help HP customers ditch HP for its own solutions, which brought more
attention in the media.  The point of the blog is that when something
unexpected happens that is likely to impact stakeholders and the media,
messaging is critical to prevent losing the opportunity to influence how
your story is presented and perceived.  This applies equally well to
situations such as kids/parents reporting access to inappropriate content.
So, any story that is likely to cause the media, stakeholders, etc. to ask
"Who would have thought?" is a good candidate for extra careful management
of your messaging.
Ozzie Paez
SSE/SAIC
www.ozziepaezdecisions.com