Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: DMCA Infringement Handling

From: "Jacobson, Dick" <dick.jacobson () NDUS EDU>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 10:12:43 -0700

This discussion pops up every now and then and invariably turns to the inadequacies or "blatant disregard for the law"
by those sending the DMCA take down notices.  In the past I have had numerous discussions with (among others) Steve
Worona regarding the moral and ethical aspects of those employing the DMCA for their purposes.  I believe we can take
whatever personal stance we want but the one that we need to live with is that the DMCA is the law.  Our words and
actions can either protect our institutions or place them in jeopardy but, whatever our stance, our words and actions
will serve to educate our students.

We are not merely teaching them English and History but also, whether we want to admit it or not, we are teaching them
a little bit of how to get along.  Most of us are not attorneys or even in law school, so our moral and ethical
education has a different focus but not necessarily a different impact.  As someone else mentioned, I can help the
students not only learn a legal lesson but this lesson does not entail huge fines or any jail time.

I disagreed with one of our System Attorneys that told me that the takedown notices should be treated as valid even if
they did not have the exact wording I wanted; but I think he was right for what we are trying to teach in our
environment.

Having said that, it has been a long time since I have seen a false positive.  There have been times when our logs did
not 100% identify an individual but that invariably turned out to be a deficiency in our logging environment or a bad
clock on the box or ....  In many of those instances we could easily identify someone by looking at other logs and, a
couple times the machines and networks just did not keep the logs.  And there are always the users that say "not me"
but it has been a long time since I have seen a false positive.

And I don't think I have ever seen a DMA complaint for an IP number not registered to us. There may be some that we
have sublet to other entities, but they are still registered to us with ARIN.

OK - off my soapbox and back to work.