Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: pros and cons of demanding authentication when sending email

From: Pete Hickey <pete () SHADOWS UOTTAWA CA>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 16:56:41 -0500

Our supported mail reading applications require authentication, and therefore, most
users here will assume that authentication is required to send mail, however our
SMTP servers will accept requests from anyone with a campus IP address... this us
used by a number of straglers using their own POP and IMAP mail readers...

In addition, we have port 25 open outbound for almost everyone.

No real issues, although 2-3 times a year we have a bot which starts sending spam, but
scripts watching for a large amount of outgoing mail from machines which usually do not send
mail let us quickly stop it....