Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

ipads/iphones and full disk encryption

From: "Youngquist, Jason R." <jryoungquist () CCIS EDU>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 14:44:29 +0000

As many of you know, ipads/iphones and other devices are being introduced into the corporate and educational
institution environment.  Currently we require all institutional owned laptops to be encrypted using full disk
encryption.  The Apple ipad/iphone supposedly has "full disk encryption" but I've done a bit of googling and it appears
that the encryption is really all that it is cracked up to be (see reference URLs below).  So, I'm wondering how other
organizations are addressing this threat - specifically since a number of high-level folks seem to be carrying ipads
with them these days with potentially sensitive information on them.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this issue.

http://ipadlawyer.co.uk/when-is-encryption-not-encryption
http://www.zdziarski.com/blog/?p=513
http://anthonyvance.com/blog/forensics/ios4_data_protection/
http://www.zdziarski.com/blog/?p=516
http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/72955

Thanks.
Jason Youngquist, CISSP
Information Technology Security Engineer
Technology Services
Columbia College
1001 Rogers Street, Columbia, MO  65216
(573) 875-7334
jryoungquist () ccis edu<mailto:jryoungquist () ccis edu>