Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Phishing E-mail Uptick???

From: Nick Kartsioukas <lists.educause.security () CHANGE NIGHTWIND NET>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 22:04:51 -0700

On Saturday, October 22, 2011 10:08 PM, "Gibson, Nathan J. (HSC)"
<Nathan-Gibson () OUHSC EDU> wrote:
Is any other campus just getting slammed with phishing e-mails?
Specifically e-mails that say: "You have exceeded the size of your
mailbox please login here to request a size increase".

We haven't seen an increase in it, but we did end up just disabling OWA
about a year or so ago because of the rate at which accounts got
compromised.  It was truly ridiculous.

Also, if you wouldn't mind, could you share with me the products and/or
methods you use to "rate limit" user outbound e-mails.
Meaning......jdoe () somecollege edu can only send out 100 e-mails per hour.

We're working on a postfix policyd rule to handle this as our Exchange
server uses our Linux MTAs as smarthosts, I can share information on
that if/when we get it working.
--
Nick Kartsioukas
Cuesta College Computer Services