Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Whole Disk Encryption

From: Rich Graves <rgraves () CARLETON EDU>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 15:44:16 -0600

A ssuming that all laptops are in a domain and that you push settings with GPO, BitLocker key recovery is decent. If
you combine the built-in AD tools with SCCM, it's nearly as good as PGP. You will have ample opportunity to gain
experience with it, because even with the most liberal PCR settings, users will violate the boot integrity check
frequently, and at the most inconvenient times. We have about 100 PCs running BitLocker, but I would not recommend it.

There is no supported enterprise escrow for FileVault 2. If all laptops are imaged and encrypted by central IT techs,
then it ought to be possible to come up with manual procedures, just like some people did with TrueCrypt. If encryption
is decentralized, forget about it.
--

Rich Graves http://claimid.com/rcgraves
Carleton.edu Sr UNIX and Security Admin