Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Dynamic Internet Bandwidth Allocation

From: "Miller,James R" <millerj () UAKRON EDU>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 09:00:37 -0500

We are looking at combining our residence hall network with the campus network. The current structure of using a
separate ISP for the residence halls seems a little more expensive. Still using separate IP structure, but we are
looking at scheduling the majority of our bandwidth for the main campus during normal classroom hours and then
dynamically allocating a large portion of the bandwidth for the residence halls to have available after hours.. Without
too much study so far, it appears that our Exinda traffic shaping appliance may be capable of achieving this with
virtual circuits and scheduling. Is there anyone out there doing this currently, and if so would you mind sharing what
equipment or software you are using to do this?

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Jim Miller
CISSP,CCSP