Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: ROI on stateful and deep-packet-inspection firewalls

From: Chris Green <cmgreen () UAB EDU>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2012 20:00:55 +0000

The ROI is hard to capture but I generally am in favor of it AND hardening end-points .   There are several factors
involved in the space.

Complexity Often does go up.  When going inline with Firewalls & IPS activities, we've generally had an A and a B path
with L2 redundancy between them.

Some scenarios worth considering both policy and technically:

- If you are experiencing a mass-virus infection targeting end-point software through drive-by downloads,  how do you
respond and prevent?
- How do you identify traffic abuse causing network issues?
- Who do you rely on for finding out new attacks and mitigating issues?    Most IPS/DPI/IDS/etc. all have some sort of
rules base involved.    At some level, the "inspection" part is a commodity (snort v. bro v. TippingPoint v. Juniper v.
....) but the results of the specific team you are paying for monitoring varies.
- Do the vendors capture full packet data or just an event report?    Can you get to the packets in a reasonable amount
of time and meet your performance characteristics?
- Can you realistically put in your own situational rules?
- Do you have a policy governing your DPI efforts?

Full packet is MUCH more useful in figuring out "hey, this drive by worked because it was JRE 1.3.1";  Even better is a
packet/url proxy history you can go recall if you need to.

I've never heard a very good opinion of the tools that lump it all in to the FW but someone will get it right one day
(and may already have)