Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: VPN service -- Quick Poll (VPN Alternatives)

From: Gary Flynn <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 12:44:50 -0400

Here are two other unmitigated risks to consider associated with an
untrusted device accessing sensitive resources through a terminal
services environment:

1) Direct interactive control of a session through BOT/remote
    control malware.

2) Download of sensitive data through file transfer and clipboard
    features of the terminal services environment.

Credential stealing risks can be mitigated by using 2-factor authentication.
File transfers and clipboard functionality can be limited with terminal
services configurations reducing risk associated with local storage
of sensitive data and unauthorized transfer....if your use cases will
allow you to set up such a restrictive environment.

But with an untrusted device, risks associated with screen scraping
and interactive control by unauthorized parties remain.

A properly configured terminal services environment protected with
two factor authentication adds a significant extra layer of defensive
hurdles between an untrusted device and sensitive resources that
may be adequate to bring risk down to an acceptable level for run of
the mill malware and attackers and moderately sensitive data. But
when sophisticated, motivated attackers and/or highly sensitive,
attractive data is involved I think the problem (i.e. the untrusted
device) has to be addressed directly through strict configuration
controls and policies to attempt to retain device integrity. That
costs money, operational time, and practically, limitations on the
devices that can be adequately supported with consistent policies.
Not particularly popular in an era of "consumerization".

To answer the original questions:

1) yes
2) We're migrating from Cisco 3000 series IPSEC VPN to a Juniper SSLVPN
     supporting clientless web, RDP/SSH proxy client,  and IPSEC Network
     Connect clients.
3) We have a 500 user license for our Juniper SSLVPN
4) Access is granted primarily by coarse LDAP based roles with a few
    specialized one-offs handled manually.
5) Yes
6) Our Cisco VPN client was configured to disable split tunneling in the belief
    that the extra traffic through our internet connection is not consequential
    enough to accept risks associated with a client possibly bridging the campus
    and the home network. There was also some thought that campus security
    measures also slightly decreased risk when all internet traffic was funneled
    through the campus internet connection (e.g. dns blackhole, IPS, inbound
    blocks). Though that occasionally results in an RIAA notification for a home
    computer, it is rare enough that it has not been sufficient motivation to change.