Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Degreedup.org - phishing scam or just junk mail?

From: Harvard Townsend <harv () KSU EDU>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 11:48:09 -0500

We get many of these too. I agree it smells phishy, but a quick search of .edu's showed that it's
listed on many higher ed financial aid websites under "Other Scholarships" or "Outside Scholarships."
I think I would still steer students away from it. How many scholarship applications require you to
"write or type and print the following sentence 25 times, 'I will not stop and I will not quit until I am
degreed up!" They also claim monthly awards and announce the winners, but no winners are
listed at the moment. Maybe it's a ploy to get people to buy stuff from their "store" (degreedup.com)?
How much you want to be that the "free product of your choice for the first 15 applicants each month"
 requires you to pay a shipping and handling fee?
--
Harvard Townsend
Chief Information Security Officer