Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Malware (antivirus) software for Macintosh

From: Louis APONTE <louisaponte () WEBER EDU>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 14:01:55 -0600

Hi

McAfee antimalware here, I have to say keeping your Mac software
updates current was primary protection vector we saw for Flashback. As
Apple released the two or three OS patches we installed asap. I am
saying its best to do both in tandem for best results set OS updates to
daily and install automatically as a service for your Mac users, and
have AV of one kind or another. Very few of our users disagree with this
approach.

On 5/17/2012 at 01:17 PM, in message
<99589267-1F4D-430C-ACE0-5E75F39521D5 () uvm edu>, Dean Williams
<dean.williams () UVM EDU> wrote:

A rash of Flashback infections has us thinking about mal ware
protection for our Macintoshes.  Is anyone using a product that you’d
recommend (or recommend against!)?   If you are supporting mal ware
protection for your Macintoshes, is the impact on system performance
acceptable?   Is it effective in preventing or at least detecting
infections?  Are updates timely?  Is it affordable?

Thanks for any experience or insight you can share.

Dean Williams, GSLC

Information Security Officer

Enterprise Technology Services

University of Vermont