Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 and DHCP and ICMP

From: randy marchany <marchany () VT EDU>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 22:31:12 -0400

One of the "prime directives" in any security  strategy is asking a) what
is the purpose of a particular security control b) how effective is the
control?

Which brings me to ICMP blocking? I believe it's totally ineffective for
the reasons below.

What is the purpose of ICMP blocking? To keep someone from mapping your
network? Do you think someone can't map your net if ICMP is blocked? Do you
have wireless nets? Yes? Then your network is mapped. Do you have web
servers? Yes? Then your net can be mapped. Do you have stateless firewalls
at the border? Yes? Your net can be mapped by inverse mapping. Do you
prevent "outbound" connections? Yes? then why not disconnect from the
Internet :-)? No? your net has been mapped.
IMHO, blocking ICMP v4 or v6 accomplished nothing from a security
perspective. There are far more effective strategies to accomplish the same
goals. Our preliminary work with v6 (and by extension v4) is shows you
can't hide a machine on the net if there's wireless connectivity. So why
bother? Accept the fact that a machine can be identified on the net and
change your focus to protecting the data on a machine rather than the
machine itself.

So to answer the 2 initial questions I raised at the beginning of the post:

1. What is the purpose of ICMP blocking? To keep someone from mapping your
net.
2. How effective is the control? Not effective at all because there are
multiple ways to map a network and we cannot block all of them without
interfering with the "business" purpose of your organization.

My personal opinion is that I don't care what comes into my net. I care
about what "leaves" my net.  Protect the data.

-r.
On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 8:10 PM, Michael Sinatra <