Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

NYU Job Postings: Network Security Analyst and Senior Network Security Analyst

From: Brian J Smith-Sweeney <bsmithsweeney () NYU EDU>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 15:35:47 -0400

Hey folks,

NYU is currently seeking a Network Security Analyst and a Senior
Network Security Analyst position with our Technology Security
Services group (TSS).   The official job descriptions can be found at:

Senior Network Security Analyst
www.nyucareers.com/applicants/Central?quickFind=55216

Network Security Analyst -- posting #20093759
www.nyucareers.com/applicants/Central?quickFind=55232

Below is a brief, less formal/official outline of what we do and what
we're looking for.  If this looks interesting to you send an
application in, and PLEASE send me or security () nyu edu an email
directly as well letting us know you've applied with your resume
attached.

For the Senior Analyst position we'd love to see a candidate with an
academic understanding of each of the sections listed under "AREAS OF
RESPONSIBILITY" below, and who feels particularly strong in at least
one or two. That being said we value smart, dedicated people over
experience - see "INFORMAL QUALIFICATIONS" below - and we are also
hiring for the non-senior position. So don't let a lack of experience
keep you from applying!

Note that your individual focus will vary based on your interest and
experience and the needs of the group. We consider this a big benefit
to working with TSS - you can spend 12 months on pen testing , decide
your bored with that, and specialize in engineering or consulting for
a while. Everyone does some security operations work.

The starting salary is based on experience, and is highly competitive
with other higher-ed technology positions. NYU ITS has a strong record
of internal advancement, and offers excellent educational, health,
retirement, and work/life benefits.

New York University's main campus is located in the heart of Greenwich
Village in New York City, offering a wide array of social, artistic,
and professional opportunities. We are the largest private University
in the country, with over 38,000 full-time students, and one of the
largest employers in New York City, with over 16,000 employees.

INFORMAL QUALIFICATIONS
=======================
* Critical Thinking: we need geeks.

* Social Engineering: what other people call "people skills".

* Team Fit: this isn't something you can know until you come meet us
but we value team cohesion pretty strongly.

* Security Background: experience in our field is always welcome.

* Big Picture Thinkers: Some believe that  analysts should solve the
problem in front of them and leave the strategic "10 steps ahead"
thinking to architects and managers. Not so with us.

* General IT Background: As noted we run much of our own security
infrastructure, and having a strong network or systems background
might mean we lean on you to help keep that ship running.

AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
=======================
TSS is a "one stop security shop" with our hands in a lot of pies, including:

* Threat assessment
* Policy and Compliance
* Security Consulting
* Education and Awareness
* Security Operations/Incident Response
* Forensic Analysis
* System Engineering and Administration
* Enterprise Initiatives

Feel free to send me any questions, and of course let me know if
you're considering applying!

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Smith-Sweeney            Project Lead
ITS Technology Security Services, New York University
http://www.nyu.edu/its/security