Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Self Service Password Reset

From: Dexter Caldwell <Dexter.Caldwell () FURMAN EDU>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 13:24:43 +0000

I know the vendor that we use for Password Reset does recommend that you specifically block IT Staff accounts from
enrollment via the system.  (Particularly privileged accounts).    Depending upon how you are setup, one reason to
block some accounts, for example is if you cannot easily control whether those with Help Desk administrative reset
capability, for example, perhaps students- can potentially reset privileged accounts or executive accounts and
potentially access data privileged information.  Of course, there are ways to properly manage this in some systems,
such as Active Directory, but sometimes directory structure is designed for several purposes that don’t always neatly
fit into every neat category of business function that applications might need.
D/C