Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: - Java 1.7.07 just released - vulnerability identified

From: Chuck Braden <j-braden () TAMU EDU>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 19:23:55 +0000

http://isc.sans.edu/diary/Not+so+fast+Java+7+Update+7+critical+vulnerability
+discovered+in+less+than+24+hours/14017
Polish security firm Security Explorations has sent an advisory, with a
proof-of-concept exploit, to Oracle today (Friday 31 AUG) specific to a
vulnerability they discovered in the Java 7 security update released
Thursday.  This newly reported vulnerability can be exploited to escape the
Java sandbox and execute arbitrary code on the underlying system.
Standby for more on this one, no word yet from Oracle regarding their
remediation plans.

As Rapid7's Tod Beardsley has said: "As it happens, very few websites rely
on Java for dynamic content. Java isn't relied on nearly as much as
Javascript and Flash. Most people can disable their Java browser plugin and
not really notice the difference."

Jimmy C Braden
Information Security Officer
AgriLife Information Technology