Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Granting all users (or "a select few"??) administrative rights on their own computer systems??

From: Jeff Moore <mail () JEFFMOORE COM>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 13:37:30 -0700

We actually allow a good percentage of our users to be admins on their
boxes. Like you said it keeps things pretty uneventful. If you are working
toward keeping things a bit tighter products like Case and VMWare Go may be
worth looking at. We have a sister organization that uses the VMWare Go
solution for updates etc and it seems to work well and is still being
rapidly improved. We considered Case at one point and were very impressed
with it. Unfortunately we just couldnt afford it in the long run.

I'm sure we will revisit this at some point so I an also very interested in
solutions other folks have.

Thanks!

Jeff Moore
CCC/IT