Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Mitigating Phishing Attacks

From: "Bateman, Darrell" <darrell.bateman () TTU EDU>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 14:22:05 +0000

We use similar procedures in our Service Desk as some of the others here who have commented. Additionally, we do the
following:

1.       Insert a warning message in red at the top of incoming emails that have certain keywords used to collect login
credentials. Users get an NDR if they try to reply to an email that has the warning message inserted, unless they first
remove the warning text. This used to be fairly effective, but now spammers use URL’s and entice users to click on
them, rendering this control less effective.

2.       We use outbound spam filtering to block much of the spam that results from compromised accounts.

3.       We have a procedure for repeat “victims” of phishing attacks.

We have considered requiring 2nd factor authentication for OWA, required when a user logs in from a new computer and/or
IP address. The 2nd factor would be the user’s secret question or a code sent to the user’s mobile phone. This would be
a large undertaking to implement, but it would have other security benefits. I welcome any comments from this group on
the effectiveness of this proposed strategy.

Also, if anyone out there has a network-based DLP solution in place, does it effectively detect and block entry of
local user credentials to a foreign host?

Darrell Bateman

Assistant Vice President for IT and ISO

Office of the Chief Information Officer

Information Technology Division