Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: The Wisdom of Allowing an Open Port

From: Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () UTC EDU>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 17:21:05 -0500

Ummm...
http://web.nvd.nist.gov/view/vuln/search-results?query=groupwise&search_type=all&cves=on
for starters?

Jeff

On 11/28/2012 5:18 PM, Jim Pardonek wrote:
Good Afternoon,

On our hospital campus we have an "open" wlan that requires the usual rudimentary form
of authentication (some email address and your name) to gain access, similar to a
hotel portal.  Some of the medical staff want us to open port 1373 TCP so that they
can access our GroupWise (I know) servers using the regular client application.  Other
than the normal reasons for keeping everything except 80 and 443 closed, I'm looking
to see if anyone would like to weigh in on reasons for and against opening this up.

Thanks,

Jim

*James Pardonek, CISSP, CEH*
*Information Security Officer**
Loyola University Chicago
**1032 W. Sheridan Road | Chicago, IL  60660
**
(**: (773) 508-6086*