Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Penetration Testing

From: Willis Marti <wmarti () TAMU EDU>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 08:58:44 -0600

Do you actually mean "penetration testing" or do you really
want a vulnerability assessment? Or just an external vulnerability scan?
LOTS of folk will do a Nessus-like scan, possibly rating the vulnerabilities
high/medium/low, but very few will go further and say "your security
status is passing/failing".
 I don't think "zero defects" is reasonable for higher ed; we're not a bank or
military facility. Our job is to distribute information.
So what do you really want?