Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Information Systems and Security Audit

From: Emery Rudolph <erudolph () UMD EDU>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 21:20:00 +0000

Hello Frank,

I am not answering your question directly, but did want to note the following. By nature, a firm that is hired to
perform a security audit in a thorough manner will need access to all of your data, some of which is sensitive, so you
will need to ensure that the firm is extremely reputable and mature. The process will involve many interviews of
people, staff, administrators and review of existing policies and documented adherence to those policies, all of which
takes a lot of time.

Knowing that much, I would expect to pay a pretty penny because you really only get out of it what you put in. You may
find firms that provide these services for a cut rate, but I would ask for and follow-up on all references or you may
be completely dissatisfied with the results. That's not to say there are not good values out there, I am just
suggesting that you first define what you are looking for and search for a firm that provides the best service. After
that, explore costs.

Very Best Regards,

Emery Rudolph, MS
Manager