Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Java problems

From: Chuck Braden <j-braden () TAMU EDU>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 15:42:46 +0000

I am providing the comments below as they are written - can't be confirmed
one way or the other

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2013/01/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-java-expl
oit/#comments

Rabid Howler Monkey

January 12, 2013 at 2:06 pm
<http://krebsonsecurity.com/2013/01/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-java-exp
loit/comment-page-1/#comment-140930>

With regard to the difference of opinion between CERT and the National
Vulnerability Database (i.e., NIST) on the vulnerability of Java SE versions
prior to Java SE 7, inspection of the NIST link in the article indicates
that Java SE 6 Update 35 and previous versions are vulnerable. Java SE 6 is
currently at Update 38 and, therefore, would not be vulnerable.

Thus, for Java SE 6 users, the safe thing to do is insure that you are
running Update 38, and if not, update your Java to Update 38 from Oracle's
download site:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html

P.S. 1 Am not taking sides on the CERT NIST dispute.

P.S. 2 Given that Oracle has been automatically migrating its Java SE 6
users to Java SE 7 starting as far back as November, 2012, it would appear
that the miscreants may have timed their attack with this Java SE 7 exploit
such that most Java SE users have the vulnerable version installed on their
PCs. If true, then this whole thing could be characterized as an ambush. All
the miscreants had to do was wait for Oracle to mostly complete the
automatic migration of its Java SE 6 users to SE 7.

http://1.gravatar.com/avatar/f556deeff7d35483da58a973d49d5fca?s=36&d=%3Cpath
_to_url%3E&r=PGLuca <http://blog.nibblesec.org>

January 13, 2013 at 9:18 pm
<http://krebsonsecurity.com/2013/01/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-java-exp
loit/comment-page-1/#comment-141233>

Q: I'm using Java 6. Does that mean I don't have to worry about this?

There are two different issues involved in this attack. (a)
MBeanInstantiator affecting Java6 and Java7 and (b) Reflection API abuse
affecting Java7 only

That's the reason for such a confusion. Btw, Adam Gowdiak confirmed it -
being a world-class security expert for Java we can just listen him and
agree.

Jimmy C Braden

Information Security Officer

AgriLife Information Technology