Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password length and complexity

From: Alan Stockdale <astockdale () EDC ORG>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 16:05:11 -0400

If you sat down you could come up with a very long list of companies (Sony, LinkedIn, etc.) that had their password databases
stolen and were storing their passwords using SHA1 or something similar (or just plain text). Lots of developers have never heard
of OWASP or don't give a hoot about OWASP so there are lots of sites with improper password storage and all sorts of site
vulnerabilities. For one of the latest see: https://www.livingsocial.com/createpassword. For commentary on the company's PR
regarding SHA1 see:
http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/04/why-livingsocials-50-million-password-breach-is-graver-than-you-may-think/

It is probably a safe bet  that most of your users are using the same or slightly modified password for everything so when one of
these sites is compromised so are all their accounts. Not sure there are any good options. To use a unique password for
everything you've probably got to get users to use a password manager (KeePass, LastPass, etc.). Or if you force a change of
password every 90 days that might help but you know they'll only change the last digit...Two factor.

[cid:edc_logo123e3af]<http://www.edc.org>
EDCInc