Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Full Disk - Media encryption

From: "Keller, Alex" <axkeller () STANFORD EDU>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 21:59:12 +0000

It is worth noting that while self-encrypting drives with pre-boot authentication offer offload for the encryption
process (no notable performance penalty), if you plan to use them in conjunction with BitLocker or other OS level
encryption schemes, there are a number of technical conditions that must be met, otherwise there will be no performance
improvement (for example BitLocker on Windows 7 does not support the OPAL SED hooks),

http://www.trustedcomputinggroup.org/resources/commonly_asked_questions_and_answers_on_selfencrypting_drives

Best,
alex

Alex Keller