Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Firewalls

From: Peter Setlak <psetlak () COLGATE EDU>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 09:21:40 -0400

We just recently removed our Cisco 5585s from our edge and replaced them
with PaloAlto 5050's. Before doing so, we did a bake-off between the
PaloAlto product and the Fortinet Product. The Fortinet Engineer couldn't
get much of the functionality working and when we wanted to see real
reports, we were told we'd need to purchase an additional box. We opted to
test that as well and when we tried pumping data from the firewall to the
report box, the firewall couldn't keep up.

In the end, our PAN-5050's are great. They keep up with our 85% saturated
gig link, are easy and intuitive to maintain and I'll definitely stick with
Palo Alto for some time to come. The way they keep the management plane
separate form the data plane is unique and their parallel processing is
astounding. Their sales engineer was honest of the boxes capabilities as
well. The box is used for firewalling, not edge routing (BGP) and not VPN.

As a side note, we moved our ASAs to the core. The IPS modules could not
keep up with the traffic and we made a decision to perform stateful
firewalling between the server VLANs and the users while using the
application firewall (Palo Alto) at the edge.