Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Do you use video conferencing for identity proofing remote students?

From: Julian Y Koh <kohster () NORTHWESTERN EDU>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 22:33:57 +0000

On Nov 13, 2013, at 16:03 , Dan Peterson <drpeterson () ES NET> wrote:

Have them present a picture ID to the camera. Resolution of HD is good enough to ID someone.

This is what we do for users on our Chicago campus who need a password reset.  There is a PC set up with a webcam in
our ID card office down there, so users can go in (during open office hours) and tell the folks there that they need a
password reset.  The folks on duty direct them to the PC, which connects them to the consultants up on the main campus.
 The users then hold up their ID cards to the camera for the consultants to verify photo and name, and then the
password gets reset.

--
Julian Y. Koh
Acting Associate Director, Telecommunications and Network Services

2001 Sheridan Road #G-166
Evanston, IL 60208
847-467-5780
NUIT Web Site: <http://www.it.northwestern.edu/>