Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Chromecast devices?

From: Emery Rudolph <erudolph () UMD EDU>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2013 18:39:26 +0000

While not a technical suggestion, I will say this; Technology is progressing faster than is possible to effectively
address from the standpoint of traditional security means. It is very important avoid stifling these new avenues of
content delivery and allow this new generation the freedom to explore their uses. In as much as these are un-moderated,
un-regulated devices, there is little that can be done short of blocking them completely.

There is no difference between a Chromecast device accessing the network over another commodity device (phone, tablet,
game consoles, etc), as long as these devices utilize high-level encryption WPA-2. Regarding inappropriate content
broadcast over unsuspecting devices, that will be a problem because the device is inherently designed for open, sharing
of content, but not necessarily in a large, un-regulated environment like a college dorm. The expectation was that
people in the same room in a home or otherwise segregated from the greater public network would use these systems.

Eventually someone is going to broadcast sexually, religiously racially inflammatory content to someone, which will
precipitate some level of scrutiny and policy around their use. This may be as simple as a warning to use at your own
risk. Outside of providing each user their own hotspot or WIFI SID, there is not much you can do other than warn or
block. At some point this issue will rise (if not already) to Google as a serious issue, which should prompt additional
controls to allow users to accept or block content based on a user-defined key or access code. Perhaps Chromecast 2.0.

It may be a prudent move to raise this issue with Google so that they are explicitly aware of the concern.

Very Best Regards,

Emery Rudolph, MS
Manager
IT-ETI-PS Enterprise UNIX Services